Sustainability improvements in packaging and logistics
Sustainable development is of great importance for Verstraete IML, we continuously strive to minimize our impact on the environment. Our core business, in mould labelling, contributes to environment protection: the packaging and the label are made of the same material. This forms a mono packaging that can be fully recycled and enables us to ensure that the raw materials have the longest possible service life.
What our production process concerns, our high-tech equipment and continued investment in the required resources help us protect the environment and prevent pollution in all phases of the life cycle. For the production of IML labels, we minimize the impact of our processes on the environment, we take the impact on the environment into account when buying raw materials and we focus on rational use of energy and reducing our CO2 footprint, reducing our waste, and reducing the consumption of raw materials. Learn more about our efforts here.
Our continuous dedication to a sustainable production system made us re-think certain aspects of our packaging process. This resulted in an optimization of our use of plastics and cardboard for packaging and logistics, leading to less waste, without compromising on quality. Some facts & figures:
- By replacing the top plate on our distribution pallets to a heavy duty cardboard plate, we replace 30 tons of plastic waste by 18 tons of cardboard waste.
- By re-calculating the dimensions of the anti-slip sheets used between stacked boxes on pallets, we end up with 670 kgs less waste per year.
- We opt for automatic folded tray lids instead of manually folded lids. These automatic folded lids are a bit more expensive in purchase, but this is compensated by 250 kgs less cardboard waste per year.
- To protect our labels from s.a. humidity, each packed box has a plastic wrap inside it. By using a thinner type of plastic, we save up to 1.400 kgs per year in plastic waste, while still guaranteeing perfect quality to our customers.
- The same accounts for the plastic bags used in the pallet boxes. By reducing the thickness, we end up with 1.200 kg less plastic waste per year.
However small these improvements may be, one of the promises we make towards the community, our customers, partners, employees and other stakeholders, is to continuously take into account the bigger environmental picture. Because every step towards a more sustainable production process matters.